Tuesday 31 July 2018

Wayuu people in Riohacha

We have come way up north to La Guajira. The northernmost department of Colombia which touches Venezuela. The land here mainly belongs to the Wayuu people, but there is no water or electricity and mainly cacti grow. The charity I used to work for has been involved with one group of Wayuu people for a couple of years and we took the opportunity to come and visit them. It was both shocking, moving and wonderful. 


We visited the renewed school building, previously destroyed by the FARC. We brought presents of shoes for each of the children and spent the morning trying shoes on children. We also brought their first uniforms!
This is the pastor's house both above and below. I was so struck by the verses painted on their door: 'As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.'


We visited their church (below) and I was asked to entertain the children. I taught them some Sunday school songs in english and they tried to teach me some Wayuu which proved most amusing! They speak Wayuu as their first language and are only beginning to learn Spanish, so I spoke in Spanish which then had to be translated! Meeting brothers and sisters in Christ felt incredible - I don't think I'll ever forget them.

Each large family group has a Ranchería, it is very arid here, basically desert. This Ranchería now has water as they have a deep well but the people so far have no experience with growing their own food so often go hungry and children still die here of malnutrition
by Emelye

2 comments:

  1. Looks like another of those life-time taking places to mull over and find the reason for/meaning of. I'm sure you five on this journey for reasons and purposes that will delight and perplex you for years to come. With love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joel, I completely agree, this is how it feels quite a lot! much love

    ReplyDelete