Wednesday 18 July 2018

Santa Marta

We have travelled today by bus to Santa Marta, another town along the coast about 5 hours from Cartagena. We arrived at sunset so haven't investigated very much further than dinner!
We invited 'John' to have dinner with us as he was begging in the streets. He's from Venezuela. We've met many Venezuelans during our time here. John clearly explained the plight. "In past times Colombians crossed the border to work in Venezuela and took back lots of money for their families. Now it's reversed. Colombians allow us into their country despite the fact that we have no permission to work, no identity papers. I have never had a passport as I never dreamt I would have to leave my country. Now if I wanted a passport I would have to work for 5 years to afford one. Our government is very bad, the army were sent out to kill all who protested. I was shot twice but God saved me."
"This money was enough for a motorbike. Now it is worthless. It's all I have."
We've had so many interesting and unforgettable conversations with strangers, but this one I needed to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment